Not sure what to do in and around Johannesburg to make this Valentine’s Day the best one yet? With the red and white day of love fast approaching, what better way to spend the day with your special someone than enjoying one or two adventurous activities?
1. River rafting in Parys
There is nothing quite like bonding over a thrilling adventure. So if you are looking for a memorable and exciting date idea, then make sure to try river rafting in Parys. This heart-racing adventure consists of a raft or tube that floats along the wild tides of the Vaal River. While this date idea is perfect for adrenaline-seeking couples, it’s also a great way to see the surrounding sites of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Now, you can’t just grab a raft and throw it into the Vaal River, so join Earth Adventures as they guide you through what is considered one of South Africa’s premier river rafting destinations. Your adventure will be led by an experienced APA-trained guide and is great for experienced rafters and newbies!
- Rates: R250 p p
- Location: Farm 21, Kopjeskraal, Parys, 9585
- Operating times: Monday – Sunday | 8:00 – 17:00
- Website: earthadventures.activitar.com
2. Horse riding in Magaliesburg
Horse riding is one of the most romantic things to do. Imagine riding a horse along winding trails overlooking stunning scenery with your loved one. And the best part is, you don’t even have to be experienced. This is an activity that can be enjoyed by you and your partner.
If this sounds like the perfect date for you and your loved one, make sure to visit Saddle Creek Adventures. The experienced staff, the trained horses, and the stunning trails will give you the ultimate horse-riding experience. Located in the Hekpoort Valley, Saddle Creek Ranch staff members will match you with your horse and educate you on the basic commands. So for those worried your horse will just run away with you on them, you can rest assured that you have complete control the entire time.
- Rates: R370 p p for 30 minutes | R675 p p for 60 minutes
- Location: Farm HH24, Hartebeesfontein Road, Hekpoort
- Operating times: Monday – Saturday | 8:30 – 16:30; Sunday | 8:30 – 16:00
- Website: saddlecreekadventures.co.za
3. Beer-tasting at Copper Lake Breweries
Not many people know that there are different techniques and ingredients that go into making your favourite beer. So if you and your partner enjoy a good beer, why not go on a journey of discovery into the making of beer, coupled with a full beer-tasting experience? You can learn something new and find your favourite drink with your favourite person.
If this sounds like a good time, head down to Copper Lake Breweries in Lanseria. Copper Lake Breweries has a wide selection of locally made beers for you to enjoy! Their Taproom is the best place to try their beer along with their tasty wood-fired pizza, burgers, and basket snacks.
- Rates: R30 per tasting tray
- Location: Main Rd, Lanseria
- Operating times: Friday | 12:00 – 18:00; Saturday | 11:00 – 18:00; Sunday | 12:00 – 17:00
- Website: copperlakebreweries.co.za
4. Ice skating at North Gate Ice Rink
When it comes to ice skating, it mostly involves a lot of almost-falls and straight-up falls on the ice. However, when you have a partner to help steady you, it’s a game-changer. So grab your partner and head to the Northgate Ice Rink for a fun date night! The ice rink is regularly maintained, you can rent reliable ice skates, and the music selection is always top-notch!
Here’s a little side note, you have to hold hands for you both to survive, so use this to your advantage!
- Rates: R90 entrance + R40 skate hire
- Location: Northgate Shopping Center, Northumberland Road, Northriding
- Operating times: Everyday | 9:30 – 22:00 (check website for session times)
- Website: theicerink.co.za
5. Picnic at Walter Sisulu National Botanical Gardens
Let’s be honest; not everyone has the budget to go on an expensive, world-class date. There are plenty of romantic things to do in Johannesburg that don’t require you to take out a loan.
Enjoying a romantic picnic at the Walter Sisulu Botanical Garden, located in Roodepoort, is an opportunity to connect with your partner in beautiful surroundings while you munch on some of your favourite foods and snacks, take a casual stroll along the multiple walking paths, and spot fauna and flora throughout this beautiful garden.
- Rates: R70 p p
- Location: End of Malcolm Rd, Poortview, Roodepoort
- Operating times: Everyday | 8:00 – 17:00
- Website: sanbi.org
6. Hot air balloon ride along a World Heritage Site
Enjoy the spectacular beauty of the area known as the Cradle of Humankind, also classified as a World Heritage Site. If this has grabbed your attention, then take your significant other on an unforgettable date in a hot air balloon.
Surprise your loved one by joining Air to Air Africa Balloon Safaris on one of their guided tours through the air. Air to Air Africa Balloon Safaris takes you along a Game and Nature Reserve, the picturesque banks of the Crocodile River, and the Hartbeespoort Dam. This magical date will leave you feeling all loved up. Whether it’s a special occasion or a simple date, this should be on the top of your date bucket list.
- Rates: R8 550 per couple (Monday – Thursday) / R9 550 per couple (Friday – Sunday)
- Location:Bidon Bistro, Kromdraai Road, Muldersdrift
- Operating times: Everyday | 8:00 – 17:00
- Website: airtoairafrica.co.za
7. Salsa in Maboneng
Salsa is one of the most sensual forms of dance, and when you try this salsa with your loved one, sparks will surely fly! This is a great date idea for couples who love dancing or who love trying something new and fun.
You can connect with your partner over funky music in a vibey space when you join Rooftop Salsa based in Maboneng. They host salsa events and classes throughout the week. If you are just looking for a fun vibe, they have rooftop salsa socials on Sundays which is a great way to test out your dancing skills.
- Rates: Free entry
- Location: The Gavin Project, 264 Fox St
- Operating times: Sunday | 3:30 – 20:00
- Website: facebook.com
8. Fine dining at Marble
When it comes to romantic things to do in Johannesburg, enjoying a dinner date at a first-class restaurant is an oldy but a goody. Eating dinner while overlooking stunning scenery is a great way to get to know your partner better.
Marble is one of Johannesburg’s most popular dining spots, known for its sweeping views and theatrics. Many would describe it as an experience where you can witness South Africa’s traditional cooking in a perfect contemporary setting.
- Rates: Depends on your choice of dish
- Location: Trumpet on Keyes, Corner Keyes & Jellicoe Avenue, Rosebank
- Operating times: Tuesday – Saturday | 12:00 – 22:00
- Website: marble.restaurant
9. Spa pamper day in Bryanston
Getting pampered is the ultimate date. Spending a day with your loved one filled with massages and therapeutic treatments in a calm and relaxing environment should be considered “couple goals”.
So if you are considering treating yourself and your partner to a pamper day, look no further than the Stefflon Beauty Lounge. Their mission is to heal you after a stressful and busy week and aims to take care of your physical and mental health. So consider this a perfect date idea and treat yourself and your loved one to some much-needed self-care.
To access these specials, visit Daddy’s Deals here.
Follow us on social media for more travel news, inspiration, and guides. You can also tag us to be featured.